Incline Health is a group of chiropractic and therapeutic experts that focus on maximising recovery from spinal conditions and injuries by providing a broad range of expertise and treatment options. With a strong background in sport, we have the knowledge to treat both the symptoms and causes of difficult conditions such as Sciatica.
What is Sciatica?
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in your body, beginning in your lower back, travelling through your buttocks and down your leg to your feet and toes. This nerve plays an important function in sending messages between your brain and your lower body and helps control balance, movement and sensation.
Sciatica is a common condition treated at Incline Health and can be identified by a feeling of pain, numbness or tingling in the sciatic nerve that can be felt in the lower back, buttocks or thighs. This pain is produced by compression of the nerve and can be temporary or chronic, with a variety of causes that may need attention from chiropractic professional.
What are the common causes of Sciatica?
Sciatica can be caused by a number of factors:
- Frequent pressure on the Sciatic Nerve. This can be caused by improper posture, occupation factors such as frequent twisting of the spine or prolonged time sitting at a desk or in a car. These types of lifestyle factors can place extra pressure on the spine which can eventually lead to an irritated sciatic nerve.
- Obesity or diabetes. Obesity can cause extra weight to push against the lower back causing pressure, while diabetes can increase the risk of nerve damage that can lead to sciatica.
- Spinal conditions. Conditions of the spine such as herniated discs, osteophytes (bony growths), spinal stenosis or degenerative disc disease can all cause pressure on the sciatic nerve which leads to pain in the buttocks and legs.
- Pregnancy. The added weight of carrying a child can add severe strain on the spine and requires attention to relieve the constant pain and irritation.
Professional Sciatica Treatment with Incline Health
The chiropractic professionals at Incline Health specialise in treating spinal conditions, particularly those that cause pain and discomfort, such as Sciatica. We focus on providing a thorough and holistic treatment plan to give your body the best chance of a full recovery. Our treatment options for Sciatica include:
- Ice therapy. Ice therapy is a tried and tested method of reducing inflammation and pain.
- Ultrasound treatments. Ultrasound treatments use sound waves to increase circulation and reduce stiffness, pain and swelling.
- Dry needling. Provides effective pain relief for affected muscles.
- Physical therapy. Physical therapy and massages can help release tension and strengthen the muscles, helping relieve the causes of sciatica.
- Chiropractic adjustments. The core of our treatments is targeted chiropractic adjustments that help realign the spine and relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve at its source.
Our treatment philosophy
Sciatica pain can be caused by any number of factors, so we ensure that we provide the right treatment based on our four principles:
- Every patient is an individual. With a host of different causes, we must ensure that our treatment targets the correct one to provide the best healing possible.
- Care doesn’t end at the clinic. We provide take-home treatment advice and support so that you can continue to get better from home as well as in the clinic.
- We pursue a multidisciplinary approach. We ensure that our treatments are holistic and take the best techniques from a host of therapeutic disciplines.
- We base our treatment on scientific research. Scientific research is the cornerstone of our therapies, ensuring safe and effective treatment for spinal conditions.
Kick-start your recovery today: